Ae 3/5 10217

26 of these locomotive were built from 1922 till 1925 by SLM Winterthur and SAAS Genève. This type was intended as a light express locomotive. They weighed 81t heavy and reached a top speed of 90 km / h. The locomotives numbered 10218-10226 were adapted in the sixties to serve for the car trains on the Gotthard.

The last areas of application were the car trains on the Gotthard and regional traffic in the Freiamt (region between Lenzburg and Muri).

From 1979 till 1983, the locomotives were decommissioned, as their area of application was taken over by faster and lighter locomotives. The 10217 is the last locomotive of its kind.


The symmetrically constructed locomotive largely corresponds to Be 4/7 in the area of the drive. Compared to the Ae 3/6 I and Ae 3/6 II, a disadvantage of the Ae 3/5 soon became painfully noticeable: their cornering was miserable, they ran "square". It went so far that they had to pull them back from the winding routes to Vallorbe, because they caused track shifts. The improvements made did not bring the expected success and therefore they changed the locomotive mechanically to a new wheelbase 2'Co1 '. The result was the Ae 3/6 III. The difficulties in the procurement of materials during the Second World War played badly with the Ae 3/5. In the year 1944 due to axle and drive spring breaks the maximum speed was reduced to 75 km / h. This measure could only be reversed in January 1946.The drive springs remained a delicate component due to their tensile, compressive and flexing demands, even then when high grade spring steel became again available. Searching to improve the locomotive, it was decided from 1956 on to replace the springs by spring-loaded rubber pads on all locomotives with the same drive. The first part series received the facilities for the safety control only later. From 1957 on the brake system was converted and a Centrifugal brake was installed.

The second series was prepared between 1963 and 1966 for the remote control car control and the use in auto-commuter trains to Gotthard and Simplon. A peculiarity of this remote control was that a multiple control of locomotive to locomotive was not allowed. From the control car, however, up to two locomotives could be remotely controlled.


Field of application and Depot affiliation of the locomotive 10217:

  • 1926-1957 Lausanne
  • 1957-1982 Bern
  • 1982 Historic vehicle, depot Bern
  • 2005 Olten
  • Care by Team Olten